Sydney Architecture Images- Central Business District

Mark Foy’s Department Store

architect

McCredie and Anderson

location

 

date

1909

style

Federation Anglo-Dutch quasi-Loire Chateau

construction

tiled exterior

type

Shop
This was one of the largest and grandest department stores in the City. The original 1909 three storey building designed by McCredie and Anderson grew to six stories over the years. Notice the distinctive white glazed bricks and yellow/orange terracotta trim announcing ‘Hosiery’, ‘Shoes’, ‘Corsets’ and so on. When trains were the most popular method of going to town the store thrived because of its proximity to the underground railway station. However, the extension of the trains further north left Mark Foys down the unfashionable end of town and the store was closed in 1983. It now houses legal courts and is officially called the Downing Centre.
 
 
  Click images for larger versions.
  cbd2-008-03.jpg (85717 bytes)cbd2-008-02.jpg (100070 bytes)cbd2-008-01.jpg (98179 bytes)
 
 

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links