Sydney Architecture Images- Central Business District
Mint Museum and Parliament House Historic Houses Trust
|10 Macquarie Street|
|Old Colonial Georgian|
|brick and timber|
|Government (former hospital and mint)|
|Click images for larger versions.|
The Mint was constructed between 1811–1816 as the southern wing of the Sydney Hospital. Known as the Rum Hospital it was built by private contractors in exchange for an exclusive license to import rum.
In 1854 a branch of the Royal Mint – the first outside England – was established on the site as a result of the discovery of gold in New South Wales. The former hospital wing was converted to offices for Mint staff and as a residence for the Deputy Mint Master. At the rear of the building the coining factory was constructed, using locally quarried sandstone and prefabricated cast iron columns, girders and roofing components imported from England. Many of these unique buildings survive on the site today.
The Mint operated until 1926 when the new Commonwealth Mint was established in Canberra. The buildings then accommodated numerous government departments and various law courts.
The Mint was transferred to the Historic Houses Trust in 1998 and the Macquarie Street building is open to the public containing a small display on the history of the site, a cafe, meeting rooms and facilities for the Members of the Historic Houses Trust.
Following a major redevelopment, the Coining Factory now houses the Trust's head office and the important Caroline Simpson Library & Research Collection.
10 Macquarie Street
Sydney NSW 2000
t. 02 8239 2288
f. 02 8239 2299
Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm
Please note The Mint is NOT a coin museum.
With thanks to http://www.hht.net.au/home
Of the two wings which survive from the Rum
Hospital, the northern wing was requisitioned and converted to
accommodate the first NSW Parliament House in 1829, it being the largest
building available in Sydney at the time. The parliamentary chamber for
Legislative Members was soon added (attached at the northern end), while
the Legislative Council Chamber (attached at the southern end) was
assembled in 1856.
This second chamber is actually a prefabricated cast-iron building, initially shipped to Victoria from Glasgow, Scotland. Destined to be a church, it was diverted to Sydney during shipment where it was erected as one of the two parliamentary chambers. It is still the seat of government in NSW today.
Information appearing in this section is reproduced from Sydney Architecture, with the kind permission of the author, Graham Jahn, a well known Sydney architect and former City of Sydney Councillor. Sydney Architecture, rrp $35.00, is available from all good book stores or from the publisher, Watermark Press, Telephone: 02 9818 5677.
Sydney Hospital & Eye Hospital
Originally named the Sydney infirmary, this building was designed to replace the deteriorated centre wing of Governor Macquarie’s ‘Rum Hospital’. Three sandstone buildings and two gatehouses along Macquarie Street emerged from an architectural competition held in 1880 and won by Thomas Rowe (1829-1899). The brief was rewritten.
Rowe was heavily criticised by his peers for the practice of under quoting building costs in order to win a competition, and the Sydney Infirmary and this project were his causes célébres. Work halted for some years after partial construction, awaiting the approval of additional funds from the New South Wales parliament.
Recent work includes the relocation of the Sydney Eye Hospital to the site, the construction of an eight level car park, ground floor emergency with eye hospital outpatients, two levels of wards and an operating theatre on the top floor. The new work enabled the demolition of the Travers building, long considered an eyesore, thereby allowing the campus to be opened up to The Domain.
is of exceptional historical and social value. It has played a key role in
the history of Australia from an early symbol of colonial government and
civil improvement to its long tenure as the first NSW Parliament House
and association with the Federation of the Australian colonies.
The Parliament House and the Mint Museum are the two surviving wings of the triple wing General Hospital, which was commenced in 1811. Built just 20 years after first settlement, the hospital waspart of Macquarie's sweeping building campaign which included schools, barracks, orphanages, churches and storehouses. As Governor Macquarie had been refused funding by London, he entered into an agreement with three businessmen who proposed to build the hospital for three years' exclusive rights to the importation of rum and the hospital became known as The Rum Hospital.
The north wing was requisitioned and converted to accommodate the first NSW Parliament House in 1829 because it was the largest public building in New South Wales at that time. Housing the Colonial Representative Government it was the first Parliament in Australia. Aside from its significance as the legislative arm of government in New South Wales, Parliament House has played a key role in the history of Australia as two important conventions were held to look at the issues of Federation of the colonies and the drafting of the Australian Constitution. Parliament House is significant for its association with important social and political figures of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries
The Parliamentary precincts comprise the original old colonial georgian building known as the Rum Hospital, which was finished in 1816 as well as later additions and extensions to the Parliament buildings. A new chamber was constructed at the northern end of the building in 1842 to accommodate the partly elected and partly nominee Council which was established with the new constitution of 1842. The Legislative Council is a pre-fabricated cast-iron building, initially shipped to Melbourne from Glasgow, Scotland, before being sent to Sydney as one of the two parliamentary chambers and is still a seat of government in NSW today. The centre wing, which was erected on poor foundations, was demolished in 1879 and the replacement building, the Sydney Hospital, was finished in 1894.
History of Parliament House
(with thanks to
The Parliament occupies part of what was
once the nation’s first permanent hospital. The colonnaded central part
of Parliament House, facing Macquarie Street was completed in 1816 as
part of Governor Macquarie’s “Rum Hospital”. Upon his arrival in the
colony of New South Wales in 1810, Macquarie discovered that the town’s
hospital was an affair of tents and temporary buildings established
along what is now George Street in The Rocks area when the First Fleet
arrived in 1788.