Sydney Architecture Images- The Rocks

The Argyle Cut

architect

unknown

location

Gloucester Street

date

1843-68

style

colonial

construction

convict labour

type

excavated roadway
Argyle Cut, was begun with convict labour by 1843 to provide direct easy access between Millers Point and The Rocks. The cut was eventually completed by Sydney Municipal Council , using explosives and council labour in 1859. Overhead bridges were built for Gloucester Street in 1862, Cumberland Street in 1864 and the Princes Street in 1867-68 (the latter demolished as part of the Harbour Bridge construction) (de Vries Evans 1983: 38-39). There is an inscription identifying Charles Moore, Mayor (1867-8).
As part of the improvements undertaken by the Sydney Harbour Trust in 1911-12, Gloucester and Cumberland Streets were realigned and the two road bridges over the Argyle Cut replaced by a single bridge at Cumberland Street, and the Argyle Stairs were constructed. This work involved the demolition of 22-24 Gloucester Street, part of View Terrace.
Later, as part of the building of the Bradfield Highway in the 1920s, the Princes Street Bridge was demolished and the Argyle Cut was widened at the Princes Street end and the Bradfield Highway was constructed overhead, completed in 1932.
 
 
 
   
   
   
   

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links