GLE08-05.jpg (88591 bytes) Sydney Architecture Images- Glebe

Lyndhurst

architect

John Verge

location

57A Darghan Street, Glebe, NSW 2037

date

1837

style

Old Colonial Regency

construction

rendered brick

type

House
 
 
 
 
Lyndhurst is the only other surviving Regency villa in Glebe and was built for Dr James Bowman, the son-in-law of James Macarthur. Dr. Bowman was Principal Surgeon of Sydney Hospital and in1823 he married Macarthur's second daughter, Mary. 

Because of its proximity to the hospital, James Bowman became interested in Glebe and, by 1833, had purchased 36 acres for 1,500 pounds.

By this stage John Verge was building Camden Park for his brother-in-law, William Macarthur, and thus, Verge began to build Lyndhurst by year-end, with the villa having its finishing touches in 1837. 

Lyndhurst featured a portico of coupled Tuscan columns with the back enclosed by single-storey domestic quarters (subsequently demolished in 1878 and 1885 upon subdivisions) and only the main two-storey block remains today. As both Lyndhurst and Camden Park were built contemporaneously, it is not surprising that they have common features, such as the size and proportion of the main reception rooms, the joinery and "plaster-groined" ceilings etc.

Following James Bowman's retirement in 1838, Lyndhurst was used for a few years by the Macarthur family, and in 1847 became St. James College, to train young men for the clergy until 1849. Lyndhurst was then purchased by the Catholic Archbishop and St. Mary's College for the classical education of upper-class secular and day students, as well as priests for the ministry. By 1870 Lyndhurst had declined and the grounds were subdivided in 1878 and 1885.

In 1972 when The Glebe Society was in its infancy, the NSW government proposed that Lyndhurst should be demolished for the north-western expressway through Glebe. After a long public campaign, the expressway was abandoned and historic Lyndhurst was saved, thanks largely due to the efforts of our Society's founding members who were prepared to stand before bulldozers and put themselves at risk. Although Lyndhurst was in a deplorable condition at that time, it has been slowly conserved and is currently the headquarters of the Historic Houses Trust of NSW. (was sold in 2005 for 3.8 million dollars to private hands).
This Regency villa was built for Dr James Bowman, Principal Surgeon of Sydney Hospital and the son-in-law of James Macarthur. John Verge, who also designed Toxteth Park, completed Lyndhurst in 1837. It later became the Catholic St Mary’s College, while the grounds, which had covered 36 acres (14.6 hectares), were subdivided in 1878 and 1885. It was threatened with demolition in 1972, when an expressway through Glebe was proposed. After a long public campaign, including a Builders’ Labourers Federation ‘green ban’, the proposal was abandoned. The best view is from the rear in Darghan Lane.

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links