Sydney Architecture Images- Glebe

Glebe Town Hall 

architect

Ambrose Thornley Jnr

location

160 St. Johns Road

date

1880 to 1891

style

Victorian Free Classical

construction

rendered brick

type

Government
 
 
 
The Italianate style Town Hall was built in stages from 1880 to 1891. It was designed by Ambrose Thornley Jnr, who was also responsible for Bellevue. Glebe was a separate municipality from 1859 until 1949, when the City of Sydney expanded to take over The Glebe and seven other suburban municipalities. In 1968 the City lost most of the areas it had acquired, and The Glebe became a part of Leichhardt Municipality. Glebe was returned to the City in 2003, and the former Town Hall is now a City Council Neighbourhood Service Centre. Around the corner at 41 Lodge Street is the former Town Clerk’s House.

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links